Tuesday, May 24, 2005

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

There was a time when the idea of "living peacefully" would have sounded really boring. I'm not sure what exactly changed, but living peacefully is exactly what I want these days. I really like the idea of being married, having a house, teaching history, doing yard work and sitting in a hammock with my wife. I don't want to climb any mountains or swim the Atlantic. Those aren't the sort of challenges that interest me. Making your wife happy is enough of a challenge. Raising happy, healthy kids is a challenge with valuable results. Don't get me wrong, there will be joy and excitement and passion for the people and things in my life. But not for the sort of things that will put my name in the news, and that's just fine with me. There are plenty of people out there to whom that's important.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The older you get, the better this will sound, too! I recommend waiting several years before having kids and spending some quality time with your spouse first.

Anonymous said...

In other words....
"Don't be like your sisters."