Monday, May 23, 2005

Up to date...

Hello. Last week was pretty busy. Busy for me anyway. On Thursday, Josef, Betti, Jenna, Casey and I drove to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia. As strange as it sounds to say, "I went to Croatia last week," it's only an hour and a half from here, and we had to drive across another country (Slovenia) to get there. We walked around the old part of the city, saw the cathedral, marketplace, old city walls, a pharmacy (still doing business) first mentioned in records in 1355 and had lunch at a cool, partially underground restaurant. Zagreb looked like a bigger, dirtier, poorer Graz. Which it is, essentially. I was hoping for a little more Slavic look about it, a little more "eastern." It was a nice trip though. We got a passport stamp in Slovenia when we crossed the border, but none in Croatia because nobody was there to do the stamping. See the pictures.

Wow, could this computer lab be any warmer? I submit that it could not.

WARNING: EPISODE III SPOILERS.
On Friday, Betti, Jenna, Casey and I went to see Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Here's what I think about it: The dialogue was once again the weakest spot. Is it the dialogue's (and therefore George Lucas') fault alone? Not in my opinion. Sometimes dialogue and delivery just make me cringe. In the case of Hayden Christensen, both do the deed. His lines are just plain bad and he delivers them badly. In my opinion, Ian McDiarmid, who plays Chancellor "soon-to-be Emperor" Palpatine, really flubbed the throaty, raspy, evil voice of the Emperor after he is deformed by his own Dark Side "lightning." Those are pretty much my only complaints. Well, one more maybe. I think Lucas and ILM take the digital scenery a little too far. It's glitzy and distracting. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. Other than that, I thought the story of Anakin's turn to the Dark Side played out pretty well. I think it would have been unrealistic(?) if he just turned out to be a bad apple and turned because of his own inner turmoil. As it is though, he's being pushed and pulled from all sides, three at least. I kind of felt sorry for him. Then he got burned alive and I thought maybe he got part of what he deserved. Maybe I'll see it again next week at the big fancy theater at Potsdamer Platz.

It seemed like last week was more eventful than that but maybe it wasn't. I did a lot of walking around. I didn't have any classes Monday or Tuesday so that was nice. We had a stupid meeting today about what to do when you're getting ready to go home, how to de-register(?) and how to go about proving to your university that you took classes here, which apparently is not the job of the Office of International Relations. Maybe they can't squeeze it in between 10 and 12. In that case they should think of extending their hours and their responsibilities.

43 days and I'll be home. Jamie assures me that she still loves me and is looking forward to seeing me on July 5th. So I've got that going for me. The weather is a little warmer although it has been raining off and on recently. Looking forward to coming home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly, i don't give a crap about Star Wars, but thanks for the insight.

I'm glad you'll be coming home soon. I had my 4 month check-up last week and they let me have an ultrasound. He gave us 8 pictures of the baby. Can't tell what it is yet, just a little skeleton. But the doctor said "it's" very active. I go for my 5 month check up June 16 and they should be able to tell me then what it is. Then I'll be half way!! Other than that, my life is boring and stinky! My job stinks, I don't have a place of my own and I don't have any money, can't sell my stupid car....want some more??? I've got plenty :) So don't worry, things aren't just bad in Graz.

I love you and I'm waiting for you to come home.

terra said...

Although I like Natalie Portman, I've always thought that she's been doing an awful job as Padme. I really don't like her acting in Episodes I-III. IMO. :) And I can't wait til you get back, horray!

jmporter said...

No wrong can Natalie Portman do. Blame it on someone else, we must.